The Hastings Community Association was formed in 1934 from a group of concerned citizens working for better recreational opportunities in our neighbourhood. The original Hastings Chamber of Commerce Athletic and Community Association, through enormous grassroots efforts, raised funds to build tennis courts, a lawn bowling green, and the 1936 Community Hall, which still houses the Hastings Community Preschool today. The gymnasium and majority of the community centre was built in 1956 by the Park Board, with the “Elder Citizens’ Recreation Wing”, housing the Auditorium, Room 9, and the Boardroom opening in 1966. A major renovation to the centre occurred again in 1986.
History articles on many neighbourhood features such as Pandora Park, Burrard View Park, Callister Park and others are available for viewing on our Google Drive.
Tennis courts, lawn bowling green, and Community Hall in the 1940s
The new centre in 1956
Hastings & Nanaimo in 1948, looking east
Hastings Street & Empire Stadium in 1954, looking east
Hastings & Renfrew in 1978, looking west